The Montana Budget & Policy Center (MBPC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing responsible tax, budget, and economic policies through credible research and analysis in order to promote opportunity and fairness for all Montanans. We work on a range of social justice issues including access to quality health care, criminal justice reform, affordable housing, and investment in public education.
MBPC is seeking two legislative aides for the 2021 Montana Legislative Session. Positions will be full-time and temporary, starting December 2020 and running through the end of April 20121. Legislative aides will provide support to the entire MBPC team during the session. We are looking for highly motivated individuals with the brains and perseverance in the face of challenging and often fast-paced work. MBPC is dedicated to racial and social justice and creating a Montana where everyone has what they need to live their best lives. Legislative aides must be equally passionate. These positions are a great opportunity to build skills and knowledge about the legislative process, state budget, public policy, and communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Track legislation and provide staff with daily updates on hearing schedules, committee meetings, and legislative progress
- Assist in drafting and editing of advocacy, educational, outreach, and lobbying materials
- Follow committee hearings and taking detailed notes for the MBPC team
- Monitor the progress of the state budget
- Compile daily news clips
- Provide rapid response support to MBPC lobbying team
Required Qualifications, Experience, and Education
- A commitment to MBPC’s mission
- An understanding of Montana’s political or policy environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Sense of humor
- Strong ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work at a high capacity in order to meet deadlines
- Comfort with technology
To Apply: Send an email with attached resume and cover letter in one document explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position to email@example.com. Please include Legislative Aide in the subject line. Applications review will be on going until the positions are filled.
These positions are full-time and temporary. Salary will be $2500 per month. Aides will have access to health care coverage.
MBPC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse communities, constituencies, and identities, including but not limited to people of all ethnic/racial backgrounds, people of all gender identities/gender expressions, people with disabilities, individuals living on low incomes, and LGBTQ persons.